Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation / Bronx Borough President’s Office coordinated Green Roof Tour, as part of “Bronx Week”. Bronx Design & Construction Academy was one of four green roofs visited!
Excited to be a participant in the webinar “Growing Schoolyard STEM Projects!” See below to learn more,
- What? Join us the Wednesday before National Environmental Education Week for an introduction to the many applications of schoolyard gardens and green spaces as teaching tools for connecting environmental education and STEM learning! Presenters will cover some of the many different types of gardens or other spaces that can be used as outdoor classrooms and the related STEM tie-ins they offer. From engineering a garden bed or rainwater system, to the biology of plant life or pollinators, to the math used to calculate growing cycles and planting times, the lesson options are endless.
- Who? Hear Nathaniel Wight, a science teacher in New York City, share his experience with a green roof project and his plans for what he has in mind next. Then Melanie Parker from Anne Arundel County Public Schools in Maryland will talk about how to infuse stormwater education into an entire school system’s curriculum. And finally, hear from Nature Works Everywhere about some of the premier resources available for helping you start and get the most out of your own schoolyard STEM garden.
- When? Wednesday, April 15 2015 at 7:30pm ET.
- How? Register for EE Week 2015 to join the live session on Wednesday. The link to join the webinar will be provided to all registrants of EE Week 2015. Registration is free and open to everyone!
Last year BDCA students won a prestigious international prize for their Energy Environment Research Center (E2RC) design. This year, 11th and 12th grade architectural students refine the design using AutoCAD. Congratulations to Justine, Joande, and Noel! These winning designs will be showcased at the World Future Energy Summit during Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week this January, and will also be used to guide our construction in the spring.
Designs were evaluated on the below categories:
- Renewable Energy (25 pts)
- Greenhouse (25 pts)
- Landscape Design (25 pts)
- Sustainability (25 pts)
Total scores were weighed as such:
- 60% industry professionals/partners
- 20% BDCA staff
- 20% student presentations
- November: Students Design E2RC in their Architectural Drafting classes!
- Dec 2nd – Dec 5th: Judging of design. Judging will be done by industry professionals/partners and BDCA staff.
- Dec 8th: Student winner announced!
- Wk of Jan 19th: Student winner travels to Abu Dhabi to present at the Zayed Future Energy Prize as part of the annual World Future Energy Summit during Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week.
- Feb – May: building the Energy Environment Research Center
Note: the wind turbine created in these drawings will actually be a vertical axis wind turbine (like this one in Long Island City), not horizontal as depicted in these drawings. Vertical axis turbines are powered by wind coming from all 360 degrees. Because of this versatility, vertical axis wind turbines are ideal for installations where wind conditions are not consistent, such as in urban settings.
Zayed Future Energy Environment Research Center:
- Provide a model educational center where both students and community members can study sustainable design and renewable energy systems.
- Provide a showcase of cutting-edge renewable energy systems that will be visible and available at street-level for students, professionals, academics, engineers, and visitors to learn from.
- Provide an outside supplemental classroom for CTE and content-based classes.
- Provide an off grid emergency power facility that can be used by the community during power outages and times of need.
Bronx Design & Construction Academy is excited to announce that we’re Zayed Future Energy Prize (ZFEP) finalists, for the second year in a row! As one of 3 schools representing the Americas, we’ll compete for $100,000 in Abu Dhabi this January. If we win, we’ll use funding to build an Energy-Environment Research Center in front of our school with a 3.5kW wind turbine and 3kW solar photovoltaic array. Watch this video and see the below picture to learn more.
Our Green Roof Integrated Photovoltaic Canopy project was recently fully funded through Divvy Solar‘s solar panel crowd funding platform! Thanks to everyone who made this a reality! We’ll keep you updated on our progress!
Consider supporting solar panel crowd funding at Bronx Design & Construction Academy! Click here to see our project page and watch this video to learn more about our Green Roof Integrated Photovoltaic Canopy research. You can easily do this by logging in either here using social media or here using Divvy Solar. Note: nothing will be charged unless we reach our goal.
If interested in crowd funding solar panels for a school you know, check out Divvy Solar!
Support solar panel crowd funding at BDCA!
Support us by purchasing a square on our attached rooftop image. You can easily do this by logging in either here using social media or here using Divvy Solar. Note: nothing will be charged unless we reach our goal.